About this Yacht
Friday Harbor, WA
44 ft 5 in
Engine / Fuel Type:
View More Details
Builder: Nicholson Boatworks, Victoria, BC
Designer: Frank Fredette
LOA: 44 ft 5 in
Beam: 12 ft 8 in
Minimum Draft: 5 ft 6 in
Displacement: 34000 lbs
Total Power: 60 HP
Engine Brand: Gardner
Year Built: 1952
Engine Model: 6LW 6 cylinder
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 8000
Engine Power: 60 HP
Cruising Speed: 8 knots
Fresh Water Tanks: (75 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: (250 Gallons)
Holding Tanks: (18 Gallons)
Number of single berths: 4
Number of cabins: 2
Number of heads: 1
Entry to through either the port or starboard pilothouse doors where you are welcomed by the fabulous and airy wheelhouse which features excellent sightlines, modern and workable electronics, glistening wood surfaces and steps to the handy galley and dining area just aft. Taller persons will appreciate this boat as there is head height over 7 feet!
The galley and salon features large windows, new upholstery, beautiful dish lockers, and a bright airy feel. The heart of this boat is below in the aft salon where the feel is of a lovely and comfortable living area. The two settees can serve as sleeping accommodation or as gathering space for after-dinner revelry. The bronze portlights with screens provide plenty of ventilation and the stove keeps the boat perfectly toasty as needed. The black trim in this area adds a lux-elegance setting of the framed originals by local artists. (Some original artwork will stay with the sellers). The fridge /freezer is located here as are many large drawers, a hanging locker, and numerous stowage spaces.
Forward is the head compartment, closet, bench seating, and the sleeping quarters which are cozy and airy with opening portlights and overhead hatch.
- Dickinson Adriatic oil stove
- Electric compressor pump cold box/freezer (located aft cabin salon)
- Lofoten heating oil stove (located aft cabin salon)
- 12 volt DC; 32 volt DC and 110 volt AC
- 12v and 32v Marine electrical panel, installed August 2020
- Blue Seas ELCI isolator system, installed August 2020
- Master switch
- Honda 2000 watt portable gas generator
- Solar panels (3), 350 amp total with NPower controller
- Shore power
- Engine alternator 12 volt DC and 24 volt DC
- Batteries: (3) Start Firefly 12v, installed July 2020: (4) House Dyno 8v golf cart
- Xantrex 400 watt inverter
Electronics and Navigation
- Furuno radar 1700
- Furuno GP-1650 DF C-MAPNT
- Standard CPV 350 GPS and VHF
- Raytheon 55 VHF
- Morrow S-60F depth sounders (2)
Engine and Mechanical
- Single Gardner 6LW 6 cylinder 60hp diesel engine
- Two station hydraulic steering system
- ComNav 2001 autopilot
- Racor fuel filter with vacuum gauges and engine
- Flame arrestor
- Fresh water heat exchanger; keel coolers
- Bronze 4 blade 34" x 30" right hand propeller
- 2 1/4" bronze tail shaft with iron intermediate shaft
- Fuel Tanks/Capacity: Engine: (2), 125 gal each
- Lofoten Heat Stove in aft cabin is served by two oil tanks (2 x 25 gallons each), located in the aft machinery space
- Galley Stove day tank (1), 25 gal
Deck and Hull
- Hull material: Old growth Red Cedar
- Hull mounted stabilizing fins
- 10.5' plywood pram dinghy w/Mercury 3.5hp outboard and sail rig
- Life preservers
- Derrick boom and Atkins and Hoyle cast aluminum davit
- Fixed horn and bell
- Life sling
- Portable teak rung boarding ladder and portable teak and rope emergency access ladder
- Life raft (out of certification)
- Windlass, hatch, window and miscellaneous covers
- Tow bar
- Magnum propane BBQ
- Fish hold and lazarette storage areas
- LaVac Marine toilet
- Windlass with on-deck spool and hydraulic control
- Primary anchor 88# Delta with 120' chain + 300' 5/8 gold braid
- Secondary anchor is 76# Babbitt with 100' chain + 300' gold braid
- (1) Pilot House activated Halon extinguishing system in engine compartment
- (1) Bronze hydraulic emergency bilge pump
- (1) Manual operated whale gusher bilge pump
- (2) Electrical bilge pumps
- Multiple manual fire extinguishers throughout boat
- The hull is white oak frames with red cedar planking, fastened with square galvanized boat nails which are clench nailed one per plank.
- The side decks are yellow cedar over plywood.
- The fore and aft decks are old growth Burmese teak planking.
- The Keel is old growth Fir. The Wormshoe is Gumwood and Purple heart, both incredibly dense hardwoods.
- The boat has been hauled very year by the current owners and was most recently wooded in 2019 for re-caulking as needed and all new bottom coatings.
- The current owners boat year round and keep "Secretary Isle" near their home on San Juan island. They have owned her for 11 incredible years and are only the third owners of this magnificent troller-yacht.
A rhapsody of Northwest Maritime Heritage, "Secretary Isle" has been lavished with care and shows consistent upkeep and updating. Stepping aboard is a visit to another era of simplicity and easy exploration of these waters by boat.
Her reliable Gardner diesel provides safe, quiet, and economical cruising while all fittings are carefully selected for ease of maintenance and carefree use. Built at the famed Nicholson Boatworks in Victoria, British Columbia, "Secretary Isle" is now offered for sale by her current highly knowledgeable maritime professional owners after their 11 wonderful years of Pacific NW cruising.
All personal gear; loose items; galley gear; CD's; charts; fishing equipment; personal tools; supplies & items not specifically listed on equipment list specifications sheet.
Included in the sale will be numerous spare parts and tools specific to Gardner engine.