About this Yacht
54 ft 6 in
Engine / Fuel Type:
View More Details
Builder: D. Cheng Boat Builders
Flag of Registry: United States
Hull Shape: Monohull
LOA: 54 ft 6 in
Beam: 14 ft 0 in
Total Power: 135 HP
Engine Brand: Perkins
Year Built: 2002
Engine Model: Sabre M-135
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Hours: 300
Propeller: 3 blade propeller
Engine Power: 135 HP
Number of heads: 2
Design Concept / History
The Herroshoff Caribbean 50 was designed by famous naval architect, Halsey Herrshoff, with input on the concept from Olympic sailor and rig innovator Garry Hoyt.
Halsey Herroshoff was asked to design the vessel with a focus on blending traditional sea kindly lines to maximize cruising comfort for the Caribbean trade winds. The design was/is to be pleasing to the eye and perform well on all points of sail and power. Her focus is on comfort at sea and anchor. Her long rounded hull with partial keel and use of centerboard accomplished both comfort as well as pointing ability.
David Cheng was the master ship builder, built in Hong Kong by craftsmen who knew hot to make teak work with fiberglass and stainless steel. All fitting were top grade material with about 10-15 of these vessels being custom built.
Between 10-15 of these designs were built for owners. This is hull number 7.
Hull Reported: USCG Registered Doc:
- LOA: 54 ft 6 inch Length: 53 '
- LOD: 50 ft 6 inch Breadth: 14.1'
- LWL: 38 ft 6 inch Depth: 10' (keel to deck)
- Beam: 14 ft Gross Tons: 28
- Min Draft: 6 ft 0 inch Net Tons: 25
- Max Draft: 12 ft 0 inch
Displacement: 45,000 lbs
- Designer: Halsey Herreshoff
- Design: "Caribbean 50", fiberglass diesel auxiliary ketch custom build
- Builder: D. Cheng Boat Builders Ltd., Hong Kong
- Rig: Ketch
- Hull: Round Bilge, 6 foot depth with 12 foot centerboard for upwind sailing
- Proven ketch design with centerboard for upwind performance, raised for downwind sailing and anchorages
- Construction: Hand-laid fiberglass with smooth gelcoat finish, hull stiffen with 2" x 2 " section longitudinals on 2 ft centers
- Hull to Deck Join: Overlapped and glassed
- Bulkheads: 3/4" plywood glassed to the hull and overlaid with teak in cabins
- FUEL: Approx 230 gallons total in 2 aluminum fuel tanks; (Port tank new in 1993). Chocked to port side of engine room and behind joinery under starboard side deck.
- WATER : Approx 400 gallons total in 2 200 gal stainless steel tanks. Water pressurized by 12V pump.
- WASTE HOLDING: Approx 30 gals in plastic tank in galley bilge. Holding tank is plumbed to a deck fitting and overboard seacock via hand-pump. Tank is fed by 2 manual toilets.
- HOT WATER : 6 gallon - NEW 2016
The following are performance aspects are approximates based upon information available.
- Sail Area / Displacement : 13.18
- Displacement / Length : 1371.7
- Theoretical Hull Speed : 8.2 kts (*owners report speeds from 7 - 11 kts)
- Capsize Screening Formula: 1.53 (*below 2 is considered stable)
- Working Sail Area: 1042 sq ft.
- Sleeps 5 - 2 in Private Master Aft
- 3 in Forward V Berth Bunks
- Hot & Cold Pressure Freshwater System
- Freshwater Galley Pump - NEW 2016
- Salt Water Galley Pump & Faucet - NEW 2016
- 6 gallon water heater, operates on 120V and off engine heat - NEW 2016
- Frigoboat Refrigeration - Air-Cooled - NEW 2016
- Stainless Steel Galley Sink
- Lots of room with 50 ft length, 14 ft beam, and well thought-out layout.
- Enormous center cockpit can easily sit 12 people for those who love to entertain, or potentially use as a captain day charter business.
- Main Cabin: Moving forward, down the companion way is the expansive main cabin. The U shaped galley is to port and community head is to conveniently located to starboard.
- Moving forward is a partial bulkhead separating the galley from the dining area. A large U shaped dining table is to port. The table can be lowered for additional sleeping if needed.
- Fore Cabin: This cabin is separated from the main cabin by a closable door and has three bunks. Two bunks are located starboard in an over/under configuration and one bunk is located to port with a large storage bin below it. An overhead hatch provides great light, airflow and emergency egress.
- Passage Way: From the main cabin, a passage way to the engine room and aft master stateroom. This passage way is located to starboard of the companion way. The passage way provides convenient storage. The ceiling opens up, as and when needed, making excellent light and ease in handing items from the engine room to cockpit.
- Engine Room: The engine room is under the cockpit with easy access from the passage way. Additionally, the teak floor in the cockpit can be lifted as needed. There is excellent light (NEW) in the engine room and easy access from all sides of the engine.
- Aft Stateroom: The aft stateroom is access via either the passage way from the main salon or aft steps from the cockpit. This spacious room includes a forward facing nav station, The master head and shower is located to port, and features a sit down shower stall. The aft bunk is elevated above some small settees and has massive storage beneath. There is a built in chest of drawers to starboard, with a large hanging locker beside them. There is provision for an emergency tiller on the rudder head.
- Engine: Single Perkins Sabre M135 diesel engine, naturally aspirated 6-cylinders, 12 V start,fresh water cooled through a heat-exchanger and wet exhaust with water-lift muffler. Engine is rated for approx. 2600 RPMs.
- Transmission: Borg Warner transmission, model AS 3-71C with 2.10-1 gear ratio.
- Shaft : 1 3/4 inch diameter stainless steel shaft exiting hull via bronze flax packed stuffing box and rubber cutlass bearing.
- Propeller: Three bladed bronze is estimated 24 inch diameter, right hand,with 14 inch pitch.
- Steering: Wheel cable and quadrant with cockpit helm on pedestal.
- Rudder: Cored fiberglass on a 2" diameter stainless steel rudderstock
- Gauges: Cockpit engine gauges include tach, water temperature, oil pressure, and voltmeter.
- Cabin Heat: Webasto diesel hydronic furnace
- Shore Power: 120V via Marinco 30-Amp shore power inlet
- Distribution Panels: AC Panel is located aft in the engine engine room. Master breaker on top, with switches / circuit breakers. DC Panel located in main cabin, on starboard side near companion way and hallway leading aft.
- LED Lights through out vessel - NEW 2016
- Batteries: Starter - One 12V 4D battery.
House - Two 12V 8D batteries
Windlass - Two AGM Batteries & Blue Seas Control Switching & Cables to Engine Room - ALL NEW 2013
- Inverter/Charger - Victron Energy 110V /12V - NEW 2016
- Bonding System: The bonding system is #6 and #8 green insulated stranded copper wire and copper strap to major underwater metals and hull zincs.
- Sacrificial Zincs: 4 # buttons port forward and port aft on the hull and wired to cutlass bearing housing, Perry nut on propeller
Navigation and Electronics
- Compass: 4" Ritchie Powerdamp
- Autopilot : Simrad AP25
- Radar/Depth/GPS/Chart: Furuno NAVnet C-MAP NT with displays at helm and nav station
- GPS / Chart: Garmin 2010C GPSmap
- Log / Speed : Raymarine Autohelm Series
- Wind: Raymarine True / Apparent
- Depth Finder: Autohelm Signal
- Radio(s): ICOM IC_M504 DSC scanning VHF
ICOM IC-720A HF
- Barometer: 6" Schatz
- Clock: 6" Royal Mariner
- Stove / Oven: Shipmate 3-burner propane stove with oven
- Refrig / Freezer: 12V Frigoboat Refrigeration - Air Cooled (2016)
- 2nd Refrig / Freezer - Cooled by Compressor on Engine (Needs Service - Currently used for additional galley storage)
- Galley Sink(s): Double stainless steel sinks with pressured hot / cold water
- Seawater galley pump and faucet
- Fresh water pump
- Propane: 2 tanks plumbed to common gauge, then solenoid switch to one LPG rated hose from propane locker to galley stove. Tanks are stored on-deck, located in dedicated teak box on quarterdeck.
Mast / Sails / Rigging:
- Main & Mizzen Masts - Aluminum Keel Stepped - Mast Pulled 2015
- Running Rigging - NEW 2015
- Standing Rigging - NEW Turnbuckles - 2015
- Dolphin Striker - NEW 2015
- Main Sail - Rebuilt with full battens and lazy jack system - 2015
- Strong Track - NEW 2015
- Mizzen Sail - NEW -2015 - Built by Rolly Tasker Sail Loft - Premier Cruising Sailmaker.
- Headsail - Harken MKIV Furler - NEW 2015
- TV: 19" Insignia flat screen
- Sound: Quadraflex 085R sound system
- Windless: Lofrans / Tigres - NEW 2013
- Rode: 300 ft 3/8" Hi-Test Chain - NEW 2013
- Anchor: 65 lb. Rocna Plow Anchor - NEW 2013
- Teak decks - Professionally Refastened - 2012
- Bottom and Centerboard Paint - completely sanded down and repainted with two coats of bottom paint - 2014 - (this vessel kept out of the water on the hard for 9 months each year)
- New Centerboard Cable - Replaced - 2014
- All thru-hull fittings - Cleaned and Greased - 2014
- Full boat enclosure - helps maintain condition of teak toerails, handrails and hatches.
Personal Effects - Do Not Convey
- The owner's (seller's) personal effects do not convey with the sale of vessel.