About this Yacht
53 ft 0 in
Engine / Fuel Type:
LOA: 53 ft 0 in
Beam: 14 ft 6 in
LWL: 47 ft 6 in
Maximum Draft: 8 ft 10 in
Displacement: 31200 lbs
Ballast: 12000 lbs
Total Power: 88 HP
Engine Brand: Yanmar
Year Built: 2003
Engine Model: 4JH2-DTBE Turbo
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Power: 88 HP
Fresh Water Tanks: (194 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: (95 Gallons)
Holding Tanks: (48 Gallons)
- Tender tie down on deck fits 2016 AB 10’ AL dinghy
- Outboard motor bracket on stern rail fits 2008 Tohatsu 9.8 4 stroke outboard.
- 2/18: new rotary AC power switch on electrical panel.
- 2/18: replace plexiglass cover on engine controls.
- 2/18; replace all zincs
- 2/18; grease Max Prop
- 2/18; rebed and reinstall bow pulpit
- 2/18: replace anchor roller
- 2/18; replace energy transfer device on watermaker
- 2/18: repair hull to sump joint, bottom paint. Refair and epoxy keel, wax hull.
- 2/18: service engine and generator including filters, impellers, oil change.
- 2/18 Replace engine room insulation.
- 2/18: service both heads: replace valves, wiper seals
- 2/18: replace aft saltwater washdown pump
- 2/18: Add tow rail blocks for #3 sail
- 11/17: Reseal mast boot
- 11/17: recertify propane tanks
- 11/17: reseal gauges on fuel tanks
- 11/17: Install new Samsung 32” TV
- 11/17: replace forward shower pump
- 6/17: replace non-skid on companionway ladder
- 6/17: clean and repair all sails
- 6/17: paint wheel and boom
- 5/17: add UV sterilizer to watermaker
- 2016: Fusion stereo
- 2016: Top Down Furler for the Spinnaker.
- 2015: Heater hose in sail locker
- 2015: Lewmar Windlass with chain counter and remotes
- 2015: re-varnish companionway
- 2014: Garmin chartplotters (2),
- 2014 Garmin H5000 autopilot,
- 2014 Garmin radar.
- 2014 Garmin Four 7” MFD’s in cockpit, 2 at nav station and one 4” MFD in master stateroom
- 2014: replace house and start batteries
- 2004: Webasto hydronic radiant heat
- 2014 Maretron FFM 100 Engine and fuel flow sensors
Lewmar 66/3 Electric Primary Winches
Two Tone Deck
Lewmar Adjustable Genoa & Jib Tracks
Sea Water Washdown in Forepeak Locker
Inner Forestay Deck Chainplate
Dockside Water Inlet
Hall Spars Carbon Giber Mast
Dockside Water Inlet
Varnished All Teak Interior
Raised Panel Doors
Fountainhead Counters and Scanvik Sinks in Heads
Ultra-Suede Cushions in Main Cabin
Screens for Hatches and Companionway
Mastervolt 7.5 Generator
Seafrost Engine Driven Refrigerator w/ AC Assist
Vacuflush Fresh Water Head System
Heart Freedom Inverter w/ Link 2000 monitoring system
3 Blade Max Prop
Additional Battery Bank
Additional 37 gal fuel tank
Seaward Microwave Oven
Single Side Band Ground Plane
Salt Water Galley Foot Pump
Anchor Windlass Control in Cockpit
Stainless Leathered Grab Rail on Dodger
Navtec Hydrolic Vang and Backstay
Delete Vanity in Fwd Cabin install 3 Draws and 3 Lockers
High Polish Opening Ports
High Polish Opening Hatches
Hall Spars options:
2nd main halyard sheave for Dutchman system
Dutchman halyard / topping lift
Bow / Deck light with stainless guard
Two m-l lights under spreaders
Inner forestay box w./ sheave for halyard
Whisker pole track on mast
Whisker pole Carbon Fiber from Hall Spars
Third mast step
VHF antenna and cable
1 Mainsail. Quantum#5 BRK Cordora with Dutchman
1 #105% Jib. Quantum #4 BRK
1 #7Storm Jib. Quantum I think.
1 #2 3DL from North Sails 2006
1 Cruising Spinnaker. 1.5oz nylon. Quantum.
All the Quantum sails are originals and have been well maintained.
Specifications from J/Boats
HULL & DECK
- Patented TPI resin infused “SCRIMP” composite sandwich construction.
- Aircraft grade end-grain balsa with biaxial and unidirectional glass fabric.
- Additional reinforcing in highly loaded areas.
- Built to A.B.S. Plan Approval (American Bureau of Shipping)
- TPI transferable ten-year warranty against hull blisters.
- White Cook NPG ISO gelcoat on outer hull and deck surfaces.
- Interplastic vinylester resin on the outer hull layer.
- 4" minimum overlap of hull to deck joint.
- Aluminum full length ORC toe rail with amidships and aft chocks.
- Molded companionway seahood with integral instrument pod capable of housing four full-function instrument displays.
- Molded transom swim platform: ladder to starboard of centerline with molded treads.
- Molded spray shield housing for standard cockpit dodger and frame.
- Molded aft lazarette lockers with watertight gaskets.
- Molded Propane locker to starboard (outboard of wheel) vented overboard.
- Molded port cockpit seat locker with watertight gasket and drainage into cockpit.
- Single boot top and cove stripe of contrasting color.
- Positive traction nonskid on deck surface with choice of contrasting non-skid color.
- GRP infusion molded primary structural bulkhead with solid glass chainplate support areas.
- Secondary watertight bulkhead aft of foredeck sail locker.
- Additional secondary bulkheads individually glassed to hull and deck.
- Heavy duty glass floor beams infused to the hull for ultimate keel support and hull stiffening.
- 12,000 lb 7’ draft, low CG lead keel, installed and coated with Interlux 2000 primer.
- Longitudinal hull beams infused to the hull for increased panel stiffness.
- Separate molded engine support structure glassed to hull.
- FRP-Beam mast step infused to hull structure.
- Heavy duty polished 316 stainless steel chainplates.
- Custom fabricated 316 stainless steel stemhead through bolted to a reinforced hull.
- Structural bulkhead outboard of rudder post for autopilot steering arm.
- 3M 5200 and stainless bolts for optimum hull to deck bond.
- TPI Five Year Structural Warranty.
- Yanmar 4JH2-DTBE turbo-charged 88hp diesel for max speeds up to 9 knots.
- 4 cylinders with fresh water cooling.
- Yanmar C-type recessed engine instrument panel with lexan cover located on port side of helmsman’s cockpit.
- Gauges for tachometer, fuel, hours, temperature, amps.
- Audio alarms for water temperature and oil pressure.
- Vetus engine throttle control/gear shift mounted to custom pedestal top.
- Two-blade Max Prop 22” geared propeller with Aquamet 1.5” stainless steel engine shaft.
- Aquadrive 20200 engine drive thrust bearing, mounted on independent bulkhead.
- PSS Shaft Seal for no-drip/low maintenance with splash guard.
- Bronze cast custom strut with cutlass bearing.
- Soundown Deluxe 2” lead-lined insulation in engine compartment.
- Generous access to engine space via three insulated doors, each gasketed and secured with heavy duty adjustable latches. Openings capped in teak to minimize wear and tear.
- Machinery spaces are provided for optional generator, watermaker and air conditioning.
- Heavy duty engine and optional generator exhaust hoses.
- Engine room ventilation blower and three 4” ventilation hoses.
- Silencer muffler for engine.
- Streamlined zinc.
- Mack-Boring engine spares kit.
- Balanced high aspect rudder constructed with unidirectional glass.
- High strength custom engineered and molded fiberglass rudder shaft, extending 80% of the rudder depth to provide maximum strength in case of collision.
- Tides Marine ��Strong” self-aligning rudder bearing system.
- Edson 66" Diamond series aluminum wheel with padded elkhide covering.
- Edson pedestal top with stainless guard, 5” Ritchie binnacle compass and throttle control.
- Gear ratio of 1.2:1 for finger-tip steering control and to facilitate installation of self-steering devices.
- 8” Edson steering sheaves with needle bearings and guards.
- Aluminum anodized emergency tiller.
- Tripod anodized aluminum rudder stop.
- Edson tiller arm bolted to rudder shaft in prep for auto-pilot installation.
- Removable platform in front of rudder quadrant to maximize storage and protect steering cables from loose gear.
- Settee berths with split backrest cushions port and starboard with choice of deluxe Ultra-Suede fabric.
- Teak cabinets with louvered doors and shelves outboard of starboard settee.
- Two large drawers and one flip-down door behind starboard settee backrests.
- Full size port pilot berth and three large storage drawers under.
- Teak ceilings on the hull sides throughout main cabin.
- Drop leaf teak main cabin table with bottle storage and two utensil drawers.
- Large forward-facing navigator’s center with chart storage, outboard shelf for books and binoculars, two plane angled console (hinged charcoal panels) for mounting instruments, three utility drawers and file cabinet, 110V outlet. Contoured & curved navigation seat.
- Recessed electrical panel on bulkhead aft of nav seat with opening hinge for easy access.
- Companionway entrance walled in with laminated angled steps and handrails for safe, protected entrance and exit.
- Teak “finger-grip” rails under main cabin ports for safe movement in cabin.
- Drawer at top companionway step for winch handles, tools, etc.
- All bulkhead doors are flush mounted into cold-molded teak frames.
- Standard Interior is “All Teak” with satin-varnished teak panels and trim.
- Large J-shaped galley with deep, double “high polish” stainless sink recessed under “beach sand” 1/2” Hi-MACS (i.e. Corian) counter top.
- 12.5 cubic foot icebox/refrigerator with two top and one side loading access doors, shelves, 5" insulation, and positive door latches.
- Three burner gimbaled Force 10 propane stove with thermostat, oven and stainless safety bar.
- Two 10lb. aluminum propane bottles in cockpit propane locker connected through solenoid shutoff switch.
- Dry goods storage cabinets with mid-height shelves outboard, four louvered cabinet doors one with integral spice rack.
- Combination cutting board/single sink cover.
- Removable countertop teak fiddle.
- Deluxe hot/cold pressure water gooseneck faucet.
- Large garbage bin under sink with convenient flip door access and hinge-out door.
- Four drawers and two below-counter storage cabinets.
- Pot and pan locker under stove.
- Plate, bowl and cup storage compartment.
- Recessed panel on nav side of galley for optional generator panel, bilge pump switches and optional AC sub-panel for air-conditioning.
- Large double berth to port and shelf with two storage cabinets outboard. Four generous storage drawers below.
- Large storage area under aft end of berth.
- Starboard hanging locker with louvered door.
- Sit-down vanity to starboard with two drawers and louvered cabinet below counter, flip-up vanity with mirror, storage, and two-position seat. One teak cabinet and shelf above counter.
- Teak ceilings on hull sides.
- Molded forward head with water closet, large storage cabinet, sink, vanity, mirror on door, toothbrush, cup, and toilet paper holders, teak towel rack, storage slider cabinets with mirrored finish, positive latched on teak floor grate.
- Molded shower stall with teak bench seat, shower curtain, and soap holder. Wet hanging area outboard.
- Adjustable height shower head holder.
- Molded aft head with sink and shower accessible from starboard aft stateroom and main cabin. Toothbrush, cup and toilet paper holders, teak towel rack, teak floor grate with positive latch, mirror on door, outboard storage locker with mirrored sliders, and below counter cabinet with flush door.
- Starboard aft stateroom with double berth (two cushions), shelf over berth, vanity with two drawers and louvered cabinet, teak hull sides, hanging locker, additional large drawer above engine compartment, and two access doors to machinery spaces.
- Port aft stateroom with double berth (two cushions), shelf over berth, vanity with two drawers and louvered cabinet, teak hull sides, extra large hanging locker (houses the optional washer/dryer) with drainage to bilge, flip down bin above engine compartment, and three access doors to aft machinery spaces.
- Large sail and stowage locker, forward of owner’s stateroom accessed via overhead deck hatch with independent key lock.
- Bulkhead mounted ladder treads (2).
- Two stainless rails for securing spare lines and for anchoring mesh screens which serve as storage dividers.
- Access forward through ring frame bulkhead to anchor chain and rode storage.
- Molded water catch shelf under bowsprit with drain.
- 165 amp Balmar alternator w/ Smart Max charge 612 Regulator & Balmar spike-stop protector.
- Battery power 840 Amp hours W/ (4) Lifeline 4D AGM deep cycle batteries (2) each Banks 1 & 2 W/ (1) Isolated AGM Optima 1000 deep cycle engine start battery.
- Voltage Monitoring Batt-Max Battery Combiner W/ Battery paralleling switch in cockpit to allow engine start with house batteries.
- (2) Total battery switches (1) 1-Both-2 & Off house banks Switch (1) #2102 engine battery
- Promatic Series 30-3 Battery charger from Professional Mariner.
- 50 amp/120 VAC shore power with eight outlets and 50 amp shore cable.
- Marinco stainless 110V deck inlet.
- Prosafe Galvanic Isolator with monitoring device.
- Custom Bass #90-D1056TP30 deluxe backlit panel recessed into bulkhead with digital condition meters.
- Bonding system designed to ABYC regulation E-1.
- Propane electric solenoid switch.
- Propane solenoid warning light in galley with separate breaker on panel.
- (10) Imtra “CABIN LAMP OCEAN” 10W halogen reading lights.
- (2) Hella #62079 fluorescent lights in heads.
- Overhead halogen lighting system (with dimmers) in main cabin and owner’s stateroom.
- ABI Marine #1836 stainless overhead red/white dome lights in aft cabins, sail locker, genset compartment and aft lazarette.
- (3) Main cabin courtesy lights.
- Hella nav station light.
- Light in side-opening refrigerator.
- Four Hella fans- universal “TURBO” with two-speed control switch.
- Navigation and steaming lights.
- Dedicated compass light.
- Masthead tri-color light.
PLUMBING & TANKS
- 95 gallons of fuel in two alloy fuel tanks with baffles and inspection/clean out ports.
- Dual Racor fuel and water separators w/changeover valve for fuel system.
- Fuel gauge and shut-off valve on fuel tanks.
- 157 gallon total water capacity in independently valved molded tanks and water heater.
- Fresh water tanks are secured and independently vented to the forepeak locker.
- Hot & cold pressure water system.
- Atlantic Stainless 12 gallon hot water heater w/110v and engine transfer.
- Independent self priming Attwood sump system for head shower drains.
- Hot & cold pressure cockpit shower with 6’ extendable hose mounted in aft face of helmsman’s cockpit.
- Electric icebox drain empties into Attwood sump.
- Primary bilge pump RULE #2000-10M w/anti-siphon valve.
- Two Henderson MK-V manual bilge pumps mounted in cockpit and port aft cabin.
- Sail Locker bilge pump RULE 800.
- Bilge alarms installed in primary bilge and forward sail locker.
- Two Raritan PH-2 heads.
- All Sanitation hose is Sealand OdorSafe white hose.
- 30 gallon forward holding tank overboard “Y” discharge and deck pump-out.
- 18 gallon aft holding tank overboard “Y” discharge and deck pump-out.
- Hart Tank Tender (4-function) to monitor tank levels for 2 water tanks and 2 holding tanks.
- Jabsco Par water pump.
- Jabsco accumulator tanks for steady pressure & less pump wear.
- Grohe white/chrome water faucets in heads. Drains fitted with check valves to prevent water siphoning when sailing at high speed.
- Fresh water Whale Gusher Galley MK III twin diaphragm fresh water manual foot-pump in galley.
- Salt water galley footpump (Whale Gusher Galley MK III) with Finspray spout.
- All flush mounted thru-hull fittings below the waterline.
- All seacocks labeled with tags.
- All plumbing hoses are double clamped below waterline.
- Two Lewmar 66AST 3-speed self-tailing primary winches mounted in recess on coaming in cockpit.
- Two Lewmar 54AST 2-speed self-tailing secondary winches on cabin top.
- Two Lewmar 50AST 2-speed self-tailing mainsheet winches.
- One Lewmar 48AST 2-speed self-tailing halyard winch near mast on starboard side.
- Two Lewmar 10” double and three single lock-in chrome 10" winch handles.
- Four PVC handle holders.
- Lewmar Concept 3 Dual Direction Windlass mounted on foredeck with fairlead to port side anchor roller; rope/chain automatic gypsy (Lewmar #203 gypsy- sized for 3/8” Acco G40 or G80 chain and 5/8” braided rode) and rope capstan with integral hawse pipe. Chain stopper w/ Treadmaster anti-chafe. Two direction 12V control box and two direction remote control mounted in forepeak locker. Breaker panel mounted in Nav station. Windlass motor installed in water tight box. Hawse pipe cap belowdecks for capping off opening when sailing in rough weather.
- Lewmar Ocean Racing 6:1 mainsheet traveler system with allowing adjustment from the helm, cockpit winches, and forward of traveler bar.
- Two Lewmar Ocean Racing 6804 mainsheet footblocks with lock-offs mounted on angled bosses outboard of traveler to P&S aft of mainsheet winches.
- Lewmar 105mm 1101 swivel mainsheet blocks.
- Thurston cockpit dodger with roll-up fwd. window and removable side curtains.
- Two Lewmar genoa lead blocks for 1-1/4” T-track.
- Two Lewmar Ocean Racing 105mm 6101 genoa footblocks on angled bosses.
- Four 1-1/4”x 6’ Clear anodized genoa and jib tracks.
- Four double Lewmar 2014 halyard and reef clutches on aft end of cabin trunk.
- Two Schaefer 6085 Series 7 four-sheave halyard/reef organizers to P&S.
- Eight Lewmar 80mm single blocks for halyards and reefs.
- One Lewmar 1014 spinnaker tack outhaul clutch mounted near mast.
- Two Lewmar Ocean Racing 80mm 6805 footblocks with lock-offs outboard of primaries for spinnaker sheet and checkstay lead to cockpit.
- Two Lewmar Ocean Racing 105mm single blocks w/beckets for spin. sheets.
- Lewmar 80mm tackline block on sprit.
- Two Lewmar Ocean Racing 105mm singles w/ beckets for checkstays.
- One Lewmar 1012 single stopper for headsail furling.
- One Lewmar 1012 single stopper for sprit control line.
- One Lewmar 60mm VF block for roller furler.
- Two Spinlock winch feeders for allowing option to lead control lines (not sheets) from coaming mounted stoppers to opposite side winch.
- Custom 316 stainless mast collar polished with ten bales and halyard bar.
- Tapered double 316 stainless 28” lifeline stanchions, gates (P & S), & heavy duty bases.
- 316 stainless double-rail 28” bow pulpit and split stern pushpit with gate to starboard.
- Custom 316 stainless stemhead with anchor line roller and anchor retainer.
- (6) Stainless deck cleats, two 12” on each side at the bow, two 10” on each side amidships and astern.
- (2) Large stainless bow chocks.
- (9) Lewmar Ocean Series bronze tinted acrylic hatches with aluminum frames: 30” x 30"(size 77) above foredeck sail locker, two 22” x 22” above forward stateroom area and main cabin, four 12” x 12” vent hatches in forward shower and aft cabins, two 10” x 10” above galley and aft head.
- (16) Bomar opening ports on cabin trunk and cockpit sides. (1) Bomar fixed port on cabin trunk (over nav station).
- FRP companionway hatch w/2-part Lexan drop-board with inside/outside lockable hasp.
- (6) 12” x 20” sheet and halyard line bags shipped loose.
- Four 5" Vetus “Yogi” PVC white dorade cowl vents over main cabin with screens.
- 316 stainless handrails on cabin top port and starboard.
- 316 stainless shroud chainplates, covers and backstay tang.
Hardware and Blocks
SPARS AND RIGGING
- Hall 255 section tapered 6061-T6 aluminum mast.
- Welded integral aluminum crane with three sheaves for main and headsail halyards and two masthead spinnaker halyards. Stainless spinnaker halyard chafe cage.
- Hound box with two sheaves for headsail halyards.
- Navtec internal upper (screw-in) tang with micro stemball for -22 Navtec Rod.
- Three sets of tapered aluminum airfoil spreaders attached to through-mast spreader bars. Spreader bars with milled seats for diagonal shroud stemball terminals. Tips for spreader bends (top spreaders) and tip cups (intermediate and lower spreaders).
- Gooseneck is mechanically fastened and includes toggles and reef fittings.
- PVC Conduit tube for mast electronic and lightning cables.
- Two folding steps to allow access to mainsail headboard when mainsail is flaked.
- Mast coated in off-white Awlgrip.
- Hall 237 section, aluminum boom with angle cuts.
- Inboard end with integrally welded assembly for outhaul and reef lines.
- Internal vang lug to accept D-40 Quik Vang.
- Internal 18:1 adjustable outhaul.
- Stainless mainsheet bale for end boom sheeting.
- Outboard end integrally welded aluminum sheave box with (1) outhaul sheave and (2) reef sheaves. Designed for loose footed mainsail.
- Boom coated in off-white Awlgrip.
- Advanced Composites laminated, tapered carbon fiber bowsprit that extends to 7’ in front of the stem.
- 2:1 outhaul control led aft to cockpit.
- Endcap with stainless “diamond” padeye, and molded flange with double neoprene seal to minimize water seepage when beating in heavy seas.
- All control lines led to cockpit.
- Mainsheet of 5/8” XLS/Duron white code.
- Genoa/Jib sheets (2) 14mm Spec-set II white .
- Spinnaker sheets (2) 11mm Spec-Set II red.
- Main halyard of 1/2” Aracom-T blue with Schaefer headboard shackle. Two jib/genoa halyard of 7/16” Aracom-T with Sparcraft shackle. Two spinnaker halyard of 1/2” Maxi-plus.
- Checkstays of 1/2” Aramid-85.
- (2) sets of tack/clew reef lines, bow sprit launch line, spinnaker tack line and (2) traveler control lines.
- Navtec discontinuous Nitronic 50 rod rigging with Series 500 tip cups, tip & standard turnbuckles, tapered stemball fittings for the spreaders, and stemball fittings for rod termination on the mast. Rod sizes include -30 headstay, -22 backstay, -40 V1s, -30 V2s, -22 V3-D4s & D1s, -12 D2s, and -10 D3s.
- Custom Harken 2.75 headsail roller furling with furling line led through one fairlead and stopper to primary winch.
- Hall D-40 Quik-Vang.
- Sailtech -22 Integral hydraulic backstay.
Bow Sprit Rigging
Advanced composite construction, an easily driven hull shape and a very low center of gravity result in noticeable differences in how J/160 performs compared to other boats. Less sail is needed, winch loads are reduced, and the constant sail-changing of heavier displacement cruisers is avoided. The need for extra crew to run the yacht is no longer a requirement. J/160 is as easy to handle and sail as a traditional 42-footer. This is a boat which 2-3 people can manage without reliance on powerful and heavy electro-mechanical devices. A J/160 sailing to windward at 8 knots has a VMG of 6.3 knots straight into the wind. Of course on a reach in moderate wind sailors will see over 10 most of the day - faster and quieter than trawlers with no rolling about or extreme fuel bills. The design mandate for the J/160 was to exceed all prior standards for a cruising yacht of this size. As for aesthetics, J/160 is traditional in a functional and purposeful way. Short overhangs are combined with a smooth sweep of the sheer line and low freeboard to reduce wind resistance and facilitate boarding. The bow sections are flared to deflect waves downward, keeping the decks dry. The triple spreader rig conveys a graceful power, giving no hint of how easily it is managed. The interior is spacious, clean in execution, beautifully appointed and exquisitely finished, befitting a proper flagship. Every detail and need has been addressed in terms of provisioning, equipment and storage space for coastal and offshore cruising. The liveaboard comfort and styling of this yacht goes far beyond what one might expect from J Boats whose reputation was first built in world class racing.